Legendary men with one significant common factor
What do Muhammad, Buddha, the Pope, John Smith and Santa Claus all have in common? Although they are all legendary, celebrated, popular, worshipped, loved and adored by millions, there remains one common, significant factor that no one can deny: their birth was not predicted and foretold in the Scriptures centuries, even millennia ago.
Here are some points to ponder:
– their birth place wasn’t foretold
– their birth wasn’t announced by an angels
– they didn’t have a unique star that pointed the way to his birthplace
– they didn’t have a king kill hundreds of first-born boys in that region with the hopes of killing this newborn king
– there was not a voice from heaven that proclaimed, “This is my beloved son” when speaking about them
– they did not perform thousands of miracles witnessed by their followers
– they did not heal the sick, feed the hungry miraculously, and free their people
– they did not meet with Moses and Elijah on the mountain
– they did not sacrificially and willingly lay down their life out of love for their followers
– they were not (and could not) be taken up to heaven after rising from the dead, so it wasn’t witnessed by over 500 people
– they could not promise to send their Holy Spirit to fill man.
Jesus fulfilled ALL of these things and more. He is the one most significant common factor that we all have.
“For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and of peace there will be no end, on the throne of David and over his kingdom, to establish it and to uphold it with justice and with righteousness from this time forth and forevermore.”
Jesus Christ is both:
– the greatest Prophet, and the fulfillment of Biblical prophecy
– the High Priest, and the Lamb of God
– the Son of man and the Son of God
– He was at the beginning, and He will be at the end.
Our risen Lord is the most legendary of men, yet He is so much more. Perhaps you have heard this about Him:
He had no servants, but they called him Master.
He had no degree, yet they called him Teacher.
He had no medicines, yet they called him Healer.
He had no army, yet kings feared him.
He won no military battle, yet He conquered death.
He committed no crime, yet they crucified him.
He was buried in a tomb, yet He lives today!
He is the Son of God, the One and only, the Word come to us in the flesh, and the perfect example of who God is. No other man in history can claim this.
Food for thought: Jesus fulfilled over 300 prophecies from the Old Testament. Another study for another day!
Fun facts: Adam Rainer is one of a kind. He is the only person in recorded history to have been both a dwarf and a giant. He is believed to have had Acromegaly. At 19, he was only about 3′ 8″ tall. Then he had a dramatic growth spurt, and by the time he was 33, he was 7′ 2″ tall. He died at the age of 51, having reached 7′ 8″ in height.
Photo by: Tanner Mardis – Word of the Lord