Why did Jesus have to come down from heaven to our planet? I mean, God is eternal and knows everything, so why did He choose to send a part of Himself, His Son, down here to be one of us? That meant Jesus had to: experience this life first-hand, be born, be totally dependent, have to be obedient to parents, deal with siblings, eat our food, work a job, get calloused hands, be tempted, feel hot and cold, have friendships, see death of family and friends, help others, have enemies, be in pain, listen, teach, feel all emotions, pray, heal, love and die.
Here is a list of reasons why Jesus came, in His own words:
1. “He has sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.” Luke 4″18-19
2. “For I have come down from heaven not to do my own will but the will of Him who sent me.” John 6:38
3. “…to proclaim good news to the poor, to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor…” Luke 4:18-19a
4. “…to preach the good news of the kingdom of God to the other towns as well.” Luke 4:43
5. “I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever.” John 6:51
6. “For judgment I came into this world, that those who do not see may see, and those who see may become blind.” John 9:39-40
7. “I came not to call the righteous, but sinners.” Mark 2:17
8. “…even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” Mark 10:45
9. “For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.” Luke 19:10
10. “…to accomplish the law” Matthew 5:17
11. “I have come into the world as light, so that whoever believes in me may not remain in darkness.” John 12:46
12. “I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. To set father against mother,…” Matthew 10:24-25
13. “…for I came from God and I am here. I came not of my own accord, but he sent me.” John 8:42
14. “…to give peace on earth? NO, to cast fire on the earth, to bring division in the households.” Luke 12:49-52
15. “For this purpose I was born and for this purpose I have come into the world – to bear witness to the truth.” John 18: 37b
16. “If a grain of wheat dies, it bears much fruit..shall I say ‘Father, save me from this hour? But for this purpose I have come to this hour.” John 12:24, 27
17. “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him should not perish, but have eternal life.” John 3:16
What a gift that the God of all, that I AM, loves His creation that much! This Christmas, remember that Jesus IS the greatest gift for all of mankind. Pray for those you love and care about that don’t know Him or haven’t put their life in His hands. Ask that He will open their eyes, ears, and hearts to the truth.
Food for thought: Since God created our planet and all other planets and solar systems out there, do you believe He created life on any of them as well? If so, did sin affect them as well, and did God need to intervene on their behalf too? Things that make you go “hmmmm.”
Fun facts: About 50% of Americans believe in life forms on other planets, 3 out of 4 people believe in paranormal activity, and only 16% of American believe in Big Foot.
Photo by: Kari Wiseman – Alien form